Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Kid Is Alright

My 3 year old son Aidan is bonkers for a book/cartoon series called The Magic School Bus, wherein a teacher named Ms. Frizzle takes her class on crazy field trips to the stone age, outer space - you name it. Aidan is now convinced that "Magic Bus" by The Who is about The Magic School Bus, and he insists on hearing it on the way to daycare every morning.

Now, The Who is my favorite band of all time. Actually, let me clarify: the Who between the years 1964 and 1973 is my favorite band of all time. For me, there is no other band that has so perfectly combined epic song craft with unhinged rock power (haters: watch this in its entirety and then let's talk). So the fact that my son is now a Who fan? Worse things could happen. I just pray that we can get through the teenage years without him embracing godawful music (i.e. whatever his generation's version of Korn is). For now, I will appreciate the fact we get to listen to cool music in the car. It's better than Barney. Much, much better. ~ Tim

No comments: